2019 - 2020 Confirmation Information
For Youth and Parents
The Rite of Confirmation: The Rite of Confirmation is a Sacramental Rite very similar in some ways to marriage. Confirmation is about asking for God’s help with a commitment that you feel like you are ready to make; this program is designed to explore that commitment as a community. Confirmation for the youth of Christ Church is scheduled for Sunday, May 17, 2020 at the 10:30 AM service in All Saints’ Hall.
Preparation this year: The journey to confirmation is not quick, and should be done with some learning along the way. We are asking that all 8th graders complete the following items this year as they prepare for their confirmation. We are asking parents to participate in some of these events and encourage their child, helping them understand the importance of their decision to be confirmed.
2. Identify and invite someone to be a mentor throughout your confirmation process and at minimum, engage with your mentor in the following ways:
- Participate in an outreach project with your mentor (we can give you some ideas)
- Attend worship services with your family and mentor
3. Attend Confirmation Kick-off on Sunday, September 15 from 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Parents attend the last 30 minutes).
4. Attend all 6 Small Group Sunday School sessions (held the 4th Sundays of September, October, January, February, March, and April).
5. In addition, attend Sunday school regularly (a minimum of 8 other times).
6. Attend 3 of the 6 Sunday Suppers as a family (www.christchurchcharlotte.org/sundaysupper)
7. Participate in one of our worship ministry areas that are on the Ministry Partner list on the Confirmation Registration form.
While we will not be keeping score, please use the online form to track your progress.
One of the wonderful things about Confirmation is that it allows your child to get to know another adult and see him/her in the light of a spiritual friend/guide/mentor. We get a lot of questions about who can be a mentor:
- Does my child’s mentor have to be Episcopalian? No, but it is helpful when they are.
- Does my child’s mentor have to go to Christ Church? No, but it is helpful if they do.
- Does my child’s mentor have to live in Charlotte? No, but it is helpful if they do.
BOTTOM LINE: We hope you will ask someone who will impact your child in such a way that he/she knows that they have another adult in their life who may care for and inspire them.
Mark your calendars
Confirmation Kick Off – Sunday, September 15, 2019. For confirmands and Parents. Confirmands will attend from 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM with lunch served in between, while parents are asked to attend from 12:000 – 12:30 PM.
Sunday Suppers - The second Sunday of each month, from October to March. Find details at www.christchurchcharlotte.org/sundaysupper.
Sunday Small Groups for Confirmands - 10:00 - 10:50 AM, on each of the following days:
- September 22, 2019
- October 27, 2019
- January 26, 2020
- February 23, 2020
- April 26, 2020
If you have any questions, please contact Betsy Parkhurst at or 704-714-6972 or Maggie Paul at or 704-714-6975.