Rama Road Elementary School Partnership
Christ Church is grateful for our partnership with Rama Road Elementary School. We enjoy a variety of activities that build relationships and make a difference for the children and teachers there.
The Rama Road Girl Scouts NEED YOU!
Our Rama Road Girl Scout Troop is a well oiled machine but we do have some open positions for women who want to make a difference in the lives of young girls who need your time and attention. We serve 70-85 girls per year. Many of these girls aren't able to be successful in school and come from single parent households where parents are often struggling to make ends meet. Participating in Girl Scouts gives the girls a sense of accomplishment and builds self esteem. They are also have experiences like camping and theater that they otherwise would not have the opportunity to attend.
Our troop meets 2 Mondays a month from September - May. In order to keep this troop going and not have to reduce the size, we are looking for the following:
1. Assistant Troop Director - This job is for the big picture person who can over see and delegate. It is a job where you would learn how to run the troop this coming school year and then assume the director role. You would not be directly leading a patrol but overseeing the program and the rest of the team. During meetings, you will help where needed.
2. Assistant Treasurer/Registrar - This job can be done from home on your own time. The first year you will be in training and then take on the job of treasurer/registrar the following year. The busy times are September, October, and February. You register girls and adults. Other responsibilities are filing expenses with the church and managing the troop account.
3. Assistant leader - This is a show up job. The leader will tell you what to do. For someone who enjoys making a difference with a kind and caring hand.
4. Substitute leader - This is like the assistant job but you only come when you have signed up to sub for someone or to chaperone a field trip.
5. Teenage Girl Assistant - You need to be able to be at Rama Road Elementary by 2:45. Girl Scout experience is preferred but not required. Yu will assist leaders in your assigned patrol. This is a great way to earn service hours if you enjoy working with young girls.
Rama Road needs the following items for Back to School:
- 2 pocket plastic folders with & without prongs
- Packages of sheet protectors
- 2 gallon ziplock bags
- Gallon & quart ziplock bags
- Plastic pencil boxes
- Girls and boys socks
- Girls and boys uniform pants - Sizes 8, 10, 12 in khaki or navy blue
Rama always needs the following items which may be delivered to Laura Konitzer in the Church office: tissues, Lysol or Clorox wipes, and gently used uniforms (khaki or navy pants, shorts or skirts, and while or light blue shirts).
opportunities to get involved (2019-2020 school year)
Classroom Assistant - Assist a teacher with a variety of tasks as needed (making copies, sorting papers, setting up folders, etc). Volunteers are asked to commit to one hour per week or every other week.
Book Fair – Assist with the annual book fair in the fall.
Clothing Closet – Help sort clothing needed for uniforms.
Curriculum Nights – Once a year, help serve food to parents while they can learn more about their child’s curriculum.
Girl Scouts – Christ Church parishioners have helped build a very successful Girl Scout Troop. We need assistant leaders, substitute leaders, field trip chaperones, snack providers, badge sewing helpers, and camping chaperones. For more information, contact Julie Stedman,
Office Support/ Media Helper - Assist with answering phones, making copies, laminating or any other administrative tasks assigned, as needed.
Organic Learning Lab – With parishioner leadership, a natural area of trees and birdhouses has been created for students to observe wildlife. Help is needed to maintain the area.
Lunch Buddies - Commit to having lunch with a child or group of children once a week or every other week.
Special Event Helper -Participate and assist with special events such as parent nights, chaperoning field trips, proctoring End of Grade tests (EOG’s).
School Supply Drive - Every summer Christ Church hosts a school supply drive. You can help to organize supplies, promote the drive, and pack supplies.
Teacher Appreciation – Provide snacks for teachers and staff in the teacher workrooms or help deliver/ serve a meal for the teachers.
Tutor – Tutor a child for 30-45 minutes per week or pair with another volunteer and tutor every other week. Tutors will coordinate with the classroom teacher to determine tutoring needs. All tutoring will begin the first week in October.
Heart Math Tutoring - Heart Math Tutoring is a math-intervention program that works to develop a strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for long-term success. Heart provides tutor-friendly lessons, training and supervision. Tutors are asked to commit to one day per week for one hour (from 8:15 to 9:15 am or 1:30 - 2:30 pm). Click here more information or to sign up directly Please remember to indicate that you are a Christ Church volunteer.
For the 2019-2020 school year we will conduct Orientation Sessions for new and returning Rama Road Volunteers. The Orientation Session will include Safe Church Training and information about the upcoming year at Rama. The Diocese of North Carolina requires everyone who interacts with children and youth attend a Safe Church Training session. Safe Church Training is designed to increase awareness regrading sexual misconduct and abuse of power, to outline steps toward preventing abuse and to offer ways to intervene when misconduct occurs.
Please mark your calendars now for one of two sessions: Wednesday, September 18; 9:30 am to 1:00 pm (lunch provided) or Thursday, September 26; 9:30 am to 1:00 pm (lunch provided).
We hope you will join the team of committed volunteers at Rama Road and make a difference in the life of a child. Please contact Jeanne Kutrow at or 704.201.6452 with any questions you have.