Freedom School engages, educates, and empowers students.
June 20 – July 28 at Rama Road Elementary School
Freedom School is a five-week summer program led by college interns that combats summer learning loss by providing a unique program that unlocks the long-term potential of children in grades K - 8 with limited means by igniting their passion for reading and learning.
The program is focused on reading skills, character enrichment, and community involvement, and we need you!
Questions? Contact Laura Konitzer.
Ways to Get Involved
- Supply Drive (May 1 - June 2): We're hosting a supply drive to equip this summer's scholars and interns with the tools they need. If you can help, please drop off your donations in the designated bin in the Rotunda. Items we're collecting include all colors of construction paper (8.5 x 11), pencil erasers, copy paper, safety scissors, sports equipment, and board games.
- Want to order something that will be delivered directly to the Church? Check out our Amazon Wishlist here!
- Supply Deployment (June 14): Help us deliver materials and supplies from the Freedom School warehouse to Rama Road Elementary
- Site Setup (June 15 & 16): Help with classroom setup.
- Harambee Readers (Daily, 8:15 - 9 am): Every Freedom school day begins with Harambee (“let’s pull together” in Swahili) which is a time of singing, dancing and stories. Come read a story and start your day off feeling joyful! (Signup coming soon)
- Intern Appreciation (Thursdays or Fridays): Make, buy, or create gifts or treats for the site coordinator, teacher interns, and bus drivers on Thursdays or Fridays. This is a great service opportunity for families! We ask you to drop the gifts off at the Rama site between 8 am & 11:30 am on Thursday or Friday.
- Weekly Supply Shoppers (Wednesdays): Shop for and deliver requested supplies for activities that support and enhance the reading curriculum for the next week.
- Parent Appreciation Gifts (June 29 & July 13, 5:30 - 6 pm): On Parent Engagement Night we will raffle gift cards, self care items, gift baskets, goody bags, etc.
- Reading Buddies (Twice a week, 11:30 am - 12 pm): Our scholars Drop Everything And Read (DEAR). Volunteers utilize Active Reading strategies to engage the scholar and instill a love of reading!
- Great Day of DEAR: Drop Everything And Read (July 19, 12:45 - 2:30 pm): Volunteers read one ore more pre-selected books alongside a scholar and help with a craft activity.
- Food Server at Finale (Thursday, July 27): Help serve food at the Rama Finale.
- Site Clean-up/Break-down (Friday, July 28, 8 - 10 am): We will pack up items and deliver them back to our FSP Latrobe Warehouse for storage until next summer.
Ready to help make Freedom School a success?
Want to learn more about Freedom School?